Friday 8 January 2021

SBM Act Two

The accompanying literature to Act Two of my 2018 instrumental project, Songs By Moonlight.
The project can be found at: https://africori.to/songsbymoonlight

Sunshine:

Hints of orange, whispers of red
The sun has risen above my head
Spots of yellow, slivers of white
My mood has been bathed in its light
Clear skies so blue, clouds of bright gray
Be my guests the rest of today
For I know everything will be fine
As long as there’s a bit of sunshine. 

Heart Of The People:

Blood boiling. The way only a Nigerian’s blood can. I try not to think about the plights of the nation but when I do, it stirs me deep within. It breeds thoughts of revolution, fantasies of uprising, dreams of change. There’s the moments of quiet, where I have faith in my people. Where I believe things will improve. And then the rage climaxes and I fear the worst. I scream and curse, lambast and insult. And as quickly as it came, it diffuses. I return to reality; a reality in which I can do so little by myself so I do nothing at all. 

Down To The Islands: 

One of the Marley’s on in the background. Heads bopping and drinks flowing. Let’s get away to the hot sun and the wispy breeze that plays with my hair like it does with the palm trees. All I hear are the waves and the steel drums. All I want is the sand between my toes. 

Summer Haze:

It was summer when we first met. 
House party through a friend of a friend
Short skirt and a bralette
Don’t remember how we got to my bed. 

It was summer when we first fought
In the guest room at your girls crib
I coulda sworn I left my phone locked 
Don’t remember how you saw that pic. 

It was summer when you first cried
In the bathtub back at my place
You shoulda waited to hear my own side
And I shouldn’t have lied to your face

It was summer so it was just a phase 
Needed company for the hot nights
Try to think back but it’s all a haze
Didn’t even get to say our goodbyes 

Out Of Time: 

Can you hear my heart beating? 
Can you hear my lungs screaming?
Can you feel me holding on 
To what we used to have?
Can you see me reminiscing?
Can you see me grasping at straws? 
Can you tell me why
You’re letting it go?
Would you let me savor it a little longer
Before you take it all away. 

Brazilian Girl [Interlude]:

Down the streets of Rio, feathers of her costume all in my face. The street is alive and the festival is in full gear but all I see is her. And why would I look anywhere else... I let her lead me down the street with her backside waving at me... nowhere else I’d rather be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment